What are academics for? Can we be replaced by AI?

A friend asked me Friday night how I saw social media and contracting as fitting into being an academic.  I answered at the superficial level of what I would do in particular contexts, but (partly because I've also been thinking about universities from the perspective of my local community) I've decided to answer at greater length.

The role of universities

I think an academic is best understood as a constituent part of a university.  Not that there can't be independent academics, but that even they are best understood if we first think about what role universities play in a society.  I think there are four interdependent roles:
  1. Absorbing risk
  2. Transmitting knowledge
  3. Innovating
  4. Forming identities
 Many people put innovation (research) first.  That is certainly the principle criteria by which academics are at least explicitly judged for promotion, but that may be at least partly because it's the easiest criteria to judge by external evidence.  But universities are not the only ones that innovate.  A great deal of innovation is done by the institutions that will exploit it directly: industry and government.

Universities absorb two kinds of risk for a society.  First, universities perform the riskiest, "blue sky", research.  Rather than looking for solutions to particular problems, universities generically push forward the boundaries of knowledge, discovering the truly unknown.  They employ brilliant, creative, well-educated people who know what society already knows, and recognise problems we nearly understand or ought to understand, and invest their effort to be the first to understand them.  Academic prestige is associated with being unique in knowledge held.

Nevertheless, and sometimes neglected internally, the role of universities that dominates our public image is actually fantastically important.  Universities are composed of the people who proved since grade school the best at absorbing, retaining, retransmitting and exploiting our cultural heritage: our knowledge.  You can think of universities as knowledge batteries, or maybe better as capacitors.  Sure, you can have a lot of information stored in databases or libraries, but what is actively in and on the minds of academics is what will be communicated to students, the press, companies, governments–whoever bothers to consult with us.

But we don't only transmit knowledge.  Although it's the vast majority of academics' least favourite part of our job, we also assess how well students have absorbed that knowledge by giving them marks and ranks–what Americans rightly call "grading".  I think part of why we hate grading is that we know we are assessing our own capacity to transmit as much as the students' capacity to receive, but assessing that latter is really a critical social role, and the second part of risk we absorb.  Universities take potential employees and classify them for their abilities to absorb knowledge and follow instruction.  A students' final GPA or degree classification is just a grotesque aggregate assessment.  What often matters more is a student's more detailed profile: which courses they did best in, which courses they did badly in, and the letters of reference their tutors or research supervisors provide about what they are like to work with.

Finally, again more recognised by the public than most academics, universities form human identity.  Here I am stretching into my own current research, but increasingly I think identity is shared mental models:  the people you consider yourself to be like because you can predict what they are likely to do.  Again, we do identity construction in two different ways.  Universities have individual "brand" identities.  We create cohorts of people with similar educations, and age-related clusters of these who know each other.  University-educated people will exploit these ties for the rest of their careers, and institutions will exploit the brands to find particular types of employees and expertise.  But second, we create what used to be known as "a college man."  Pollsters and employers ask as a fundamental description of an adult whether they have advanced degrees, have completed college, have some college, or none.  As much as universities worry about their individual brand, this gross level of categorisation is also strikingly effective.  The university-educated identity creates a bond not only across institutions but across countries.  It rivals and ameliorates the importance of religion, nationality, and employer.

Present and future roles of academics

You can read the roles of individual academics off of the above roles of universities:
  1. Academics retain the knowledge of previous generations, and exploit it to discover new knowledge.
  2. Academics transmit that knowledge, and 
  3. assess other individuals' abilities to retrain and exploit it.
  4. We are also a part of a university's identity.  A university is defined by its portfolio of academics.
Note about the phrasing of my third point: academics not only judge our students, but each other.  We are constantly asked to assess each other not only for peer review of articles and grants, but in helping companies, governments and through the press ordinary citizens assess each others' claims and discoveries.  We are also sometimes called on to assess non academics as consultants or expert witnesses.

So what are the roles of social media and contracting?  They are two mechanisms of transmitting both knowledge and identity.  Every academic has to trade these off with the time they spend in other forms of transmission, learning, and innovation.  I doubt there's a single best answer for how to allocate time; in fact a fundamental principle of biology is that every trade off affords an enormous diversity of equally good solutions.  But as new opportunities and mechanisms for communication, education, and discovery become available, academics as well as students will begin allocating their time and other resources in different ways.

Can universities be entirely replaced by AI and MOOCs?

Not really.

First, MOOCs can only give part of the university identity.  Spending early adulthood colearning with a specific cohort of people will continue to have advantages.  Being known to academics who can write individual letters of reference for you will still matter for some jobs.  Learning how to do research by apprenticeship will also still play a role.  Spending time in what is effectively an incubator coming up with both ideas and relationships, and proving you can meet protracted learning and other goals, will probably both retain value.

But clearly teaching and research done by AI and other IT will have a huge impact on universities and our societies.  Again, where there are trade offs there are a large diversity of possible solutions. Many students will prefer a weaker brand over an enormous financial investment, though those for whom money is less of a barrier may still prefer to signal their commitment to their identity with a massive academic investment.  Also, the monastic value of having a dedicated location and time to learn probably has some value, though in contrast, so does developing the capacity to continue learning throughout a career and lifetime.  But universities also strive to teach that capacity, and will probably increasingly do some of that teaching with MOOCs.

net:art - near in the distance 2 – a multimedia, multinational live performance

But most importantly, societies still need universities to absorb risk.  Students known to specific academics or institutions, who are in turn known to companies and other organisations, will probably continue to be seen as the best vetted, though to be fair the full assessment capacities of big data may surpass these.  Some combination of MOOC ranking and psychological assessment may prove a better predictor of employee behaviour, and even prove effective at recommending the forging of new collaborations and start ups.  Nevertheless, the shared experience of an academic history helps make people into teams who collaborate easily.  But at least as important is the university-based alternate structure for knowledge discovery.  Academic research is driven by individual's curiosity, and their desire for status and uniqueness.  University research will continue to lead to fundamentally different and complementary innovations compared to the pursuit of known practical problems.  Even though our richest companies can and will do a certain amount of blue-sky research in house, the value of universities comes also from their universality.  Multiple disciplines and interests are bound together and cross-fertilised by the bright, open minds we educate.  Countries that give up on supporting that source of innovation will have to exploit its outcomes second hand, with less connection to and understanding of the innovators, their students, and their professors.

Addendum:  here is a great related article from April 2017: In Defense of the Lecture.  I'm doing flipped classroom + remote Q&A sessions Spring of 2017, I will need to blog about that this summer.

Comments

Joanna Bryson said…
Argh, there's some really interesting comments about this post on Google+. I guess Google is trying to move us all there since they haven't made the comments come up here.

https://plus.google.com/101780559173703781847/posts/Jww7qaVunJo


Here's my own response: (Weirdly +Google+ didn't notify me about your post). You are certainly right that not all knowledge is transmitted through academics, but what is is carefully curated. Many brilliant minds spend a lot of time coming up with the curriculum they will allocate to various degrees. Even determining which departments get space within a campus footprint is hugely controversial, and again reflects an enormous amount of intellectual work and curation.

With respect to the risk element, that's something that struck me while I was pondering how to communicate why the UK's obsession on "impact" was so wrong. In fact, it's not entirely wrong to focus on impact: you do need to counterweight against academics who pursue uniqueness by being intentionally useless. Having academics solve real problems for a society is great. But it's not a unique role of academia, and something terrible is lost if we throw out all the folks pursuing baroque interests for reasons they can't explain. Not every academic needs a theory of academia, but it would be useful if governments had a good one.
Anonymous said…
I think everything posted was very reasonable. But,
think on this, suppose you added a little information? I ain't suggesting your content
is not solid., but what if you added a post title that makes people desire more?

I mean "What are academics for? Can we be replaced by AI?" is a little vanilla.
You ought to glance at Yahoo's home page and see how they
write news headlines to grab people to click.
You might try adding a video or a picture or two to grab
people excited about everything've written. In my opinion,
it could make your posts a little bit more interesting.
Anonymous said…
Asking questions are really good thing if you are not understanding anything fully, except this piece of writing gives nice understanding even.
Anonymous said…
Greetings from Colorado! I'm bored to death at work
so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break.
I love the knowledge you provide here and can't wait to take a look
when I get home. I'm shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my phone ..
I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, great site!
Anonymous said…
I'm really impressed with your writing talents and also with the layout in your weblog.
Is that this a paid subject matter or did you modify it yourself?
Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is uncommon to peer a
nice blog like this one nowadays..
Anonymous said…
What's up everybody, here every one is sharing these kinds of experience,
so it's pleasant to read this web site, and I used to go
to see this webpage everyday.
Joanna Bryson said…
As it says now when you leave a comment "Since I get more spam than comments, I've shut off the "verification" thingy but turned on moderation. If you've written anything that isn't selling something I will pass it through as soon as I next have time for email. Sorry about the delay!" The weird thing is how many people are willing to leave comments now that they don't have to prove they aren't robots. I'm not sure what to do about this because authorising these is taking as much time as deleting the spam comments.

Anyway, to answer one of the questions above, this is just one of the standard Google Blogger formats, I neither pay for it nor get paid to write it beyond that I am an academic, it's mostly just a hobby.
Anonymous said…
Thanks on your marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you can be a great
author. I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will come back someday.
I want to encourage continue your great job, have a
nice holiday weekend!
Anonymous said…
Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well
written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and
return to read more of your useful information. Thanks
for the post. I'll definitely return.
Joanna Bryson said…
Don't forget that there are links in the article, if you want to know more information you can click on those. The other thing is you can always go to my web pages!
Anonymous said…
Hello! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I
really enjoy reading your posts. Can you suggest any other
blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics? Appreciate it!
Anonymous said…
Appreciation to my father who told me about this web site, this weblog is genuinely awesome.
Anonymous said…
Its such as you read my mind! You appear to
understand a lot about this, such as you wrote
the e book in it or something. I feel that you
could do with some p.c. to pressure the message home
a bit, but other than that, that is excellent blog.

A great read. I'll definitely be back.
Anonymous said…
Hello! I realize this is kind of off-topic but I had to ask.
Does operating a well-established website like
yours take a lot of work? I am brand new to running a blog but I do write in my journal daily.
I'd like to start a blog so I can easily share my own experience
and views online. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners.
Appreciate it!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I
am waiting for your further write ups thanks
once again.
Joanna Bryson said…
It‘s just blogger. I set it up in like 10 minutes when my house guest & partner were talking about a paper they were writing https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0022343307080853?casa_token=OGtFgIXkc-MAAAAA%3A8TxOAKBXMCBe9X3WkAaHLalAXe8Xxl3bvEPVqwzUW_qrQfAtQafBWq3Hy42P_MX6tAD59piVnieIZw& this was about 2003 even though that got published in 2007. Anyway they were ignoring me so I went to blogger (not yet owned by google, maybe it was named blogspot then) and set up and said „I have a blog!“ and Erin was like „just like that?“

Anyway the only hard thing is finding time to write, so it wasn‘t really much trouble before I started trying to moderate comments...
Anonymous said…
This article is actually a pleasant one it helps new the web users, who are
wishing in favor of blogging.
Anonymous said…
Hurrah! After all I got a webpage from where I know how to actually get useful data concerning my
study and knowledge.
Joanna Bryson said…
yes I'm on twitter. it should not be hard to use a search engine and find my account. Check the bio to make sure you follow the correct account, I actually have 3.
Anonymous said…
I seriously love your blog.. Great colors & theme. Did you build this amazing site yourself?
Please reply back as I'm looking to create my own personal site and want to learn where you got this from or just
what the theme is named. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
My coder is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.

I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on various websites for about a year and
am nervous about switching to another platform. I
have heard great things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import
all my wordpress content into it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!
Anonymous said…
Woah! I'm really enjoying the template/theme of this website.
It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's challenging
to get that "perfect balance" between user friendliness and visual appearance.
I must say you have done a great job with this.
Also, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Safari. Exceptional Blog!
Anonymous said…
I do not know if it's just me or if perhaps everybody else experiencing issues with
your site. It appears like some of the written text in your posts are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide
feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as well?
This might be a problem with my web browser because I've had this happen previously.

Cheers
Anonymous said…
Hi there, all the time i used to check webpage posts here early in the dawn, since i enjoy to learn more and more.
Anonymous said…
Fastidious respond in return of this question with solid arguments and explaining all about that.
Anonymous said…
What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable familiarity concerning unexpected feelings.
Very nice post here thanks to you for this. I evermore like your blog and such a useful content of these post. Keep doing...