I could do that

I love this video mostly because of what it says about art – and its length, less than six minutes. But why I post it is because this is what technology is doing to all of society: what photography & mass printing did to art.  Improvements in nutrition/agriculture, education, human rights, and artificial intelligence mean more and more people can do things that used to be elite.  Potentially.  If they spend enough time and effort.  The time, effort and talent part are the first four minutes of the video.  The fifth is talking about how art had to adjust to the reality that our entire society is facing now, that machines (cameras, printers) could do the biggest and most fundamental part of an artist's job.  Art is still here, still moving forward, but in very different ways.  Some people say fine art is dying.  That seemed unlikely to me, more people see more art works than ever before.  But as a scientist, you always entertain the possibility that other side is right.  This video has reduced that probability in my mind.

I could do that
(the movie isn't on youtube so doesn't get previewed by blogger, sorry, you have to click!)

Comments