New from US Immigration (another kind of unnatural intelligence)

In case you haven't heard, there is a new thing that people who want to fly to the US have to do before they go, they have to login to a site run by the ESTA and ask permission first. This goes for any country, even the UK.

I wasn't clear on whether this applied to US citizens or not, so I tried to go to their web page. If you look at their website, you get an in-frame pop-up with a message that includes this:

You are about to access a Department of Homeland Security computer system... There is no expectation of privacy when you use this computer system. The use of a password or any other security measure does not establish an expectation of privacy. By using this system, you consent to the terms set forth in this notice...

Even in SeaMonkey (FireFox on steroids) there was no way to navigate away from this, there was only an OK button. I couldn't kill the tab without saying OK, and the "kill window" button had disappeared off the browser window. I had to kill the entire browser to not click the OK button. I couldn't do this from my dock, I had to pull up "Force Quit Applications" from my Apple menu. I wonder what you would do under Windows.

For the record, giving up privacy is not OK by me, especially on a government site concerning travel. Nor is being forced to enter into a contract just by navigating to a web page.

I actually do have a lot of both AI & NI news, I'll try to post it this weekend.

Comments

Matthias said…
Maybe you could give us a link? (not necessarily clickable, to avoid giving them redirects pointers to your blog ;)
Joanna Bryson said…
Just google: esta no expectation of privacy

It is the top link, titled "welcome". Apparently I guess no one else has felt moved to blog about this yet! you can even see an expert of the text from the error message. I guess I could add the warning -- don't click "I feel lucky!"
Tom Bryson said…
Microsoft still has one advantage; in a case like this Alt-F4 will still gt you out most of the time ... admittedly not all of th time.
Anonymous said…
Patricia has been on this site since she is coming to US this spring, and she thinks it does not apply to US citizens.