Phaedra (2007) & Shima



Will and I finally saw our first opera in Vienna, with our mothers and my mom's friend. The music and staging were fantastic, but we had no idea what was going on. It was made more surreal by the lead being sick so her part was sung (AMAZINGLY) by an understudy, but acted by another woman who didn't sing. I got a programme, but it's in German.

I think the description on the Phaedra website isn't very enlightening -- it doesn't even explain what one of the main characters (Aphrodite) was doing... fortunately, Google turns up more.

By the way, I did get to spend some time observing one of the wolf cubs --- Shima. She seriously does not look like a dog. It was amazing watching her gamble, and fun petting her and playing with her. But it is such a lot of work for Zsofia and the other caregivers!

Comments